Marinara "Grylled" Cheese Sandwich: Comfort Food Revisited
There is nothing quite as comforting as biting into a warm, fresh off the stove grilled cheese sandwich. Our goal for #SustainableSunday was to reinvent this cheesy masterpiece and put a sustainable spin on it. With this delicious take on the traditional grilled cheese sandwich you are helping cut down our overuse of land, water wasted, and the emission of harmful methane - all without sacrificing the great taste you know and love. As an added bonus, you'll receive 12g of protein per sandwich from this mouthwatering recipe!
Yields: 2 servings
4 slices of Texas Toast
4 slices of mozzarella cheese
4 tablespoons of Gryllies Savoury Tomato Sauce
2 leaves of fresh basil
2 tablespoons butter
- Generously butter one side of each piece of bread. Place the bread, butter down, onto the cutting board.
- Spread a layer of Gryllies Savoury Tomato Sauce onto each piece of bread, followed by basil leaves and mozzarella cheese. Place bread together, butter side out, to create two sandwiches.
- Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium. When thoroughly heated, add sandwich to the skillet, butter side down.
- Once underside is golden, about 4 minutes, flip sandwich to other buttered side. Cook until second side is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot, enjoy immediately!